Wednesday, February 9, 2011

9. CIRCLE-SHOPPING.

I'm not sure what else to call this compulsion of mine- "circle-shopping" is the closest I can get. Let me try to explain...

As much as this blog is a compilation and virtual representation of all my free (and not-so-free) happies, I won't lie to you; I like my things. I love discovering and shopping for pretty things, and normally looking at them is enough, but at my weaker moments I downright COVET them! I know it doesn't make me sound very mature, but sometimes I'm cranky that I have to live within my means. What do you mean I can't spend $425 on Jimmy Choo Crocodile Hunter Wellies?! But...but..I want them!

So, to harness my inner Veruca Salt, I circle-shop. This means as I go through magazines and catalogs full of things I want/must have, I circle them as if I'm marking them for later. As in, "I'll circle these items so that Frederick (my butler) will know to have them promptly shipped and awaiting my return from my latest trip to Marseille." It does the trick every darn time! It's almost as if I've already purchased, owned and forgotten about the item. Which, of course, means I certainly didn't need it that badly in the first place. I forget about the "must-have" entirely.

I've updated this practice a bit to stay hip with the kids, so now I bookmark when I find something I can't live without. If my bookmarks get too full, I go back to the links and weed out all the over-the-thigh cashmere boots and butterfly sequined-capes*, and clear my mental closet for the next pretty. It's a bit materialistic, but it's way cheaper to go mental shopping and buy groceries instead (see blog entry #1).

*Ok, FINE. I bought the cape...



9. CIRCLE SHOPPING ALLOWS ME TO INDULGE BRIEFLY IN MY FRIVOLOUS SIDE WITHOUT FEELING POOR OR SOMEHOW DENIED--I AM THANKFULLY NEITHER. IT MAKES ME HAPPY TO PRETEND SHOP AND I'M GLAD THAT'S ENOUGH FOR ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment